Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Jacob was a rat!

For many years I spent Holy Week performing a beloved tradition. I would curl up with a good book. Or rather, four. From Loyola University onward I took the days between Palm Sunday and Easter to re-read the Gospels that make up the heart (along with Acts) of the Christian bible. Somehow, during the years I spent with my ex, this tradition dropped away but I happily took it up again last year (along with watching annual broadcasts of The Ten Commandments, a film that has virtually nothing to do with the Easter story).

So, a few days ago I opened my grandfather's bible with every intention of starting with Mark (I always start with Mark, the oldest of the gospels and the one that seems, at least to me, to demand the greatest amount of faith to buy into it). But I didn't go there. Instead I started "In the beginning" and I've been working my way studying Genesis, a book of astounding beauty and really shocking storylines.

And some real heels!

I am a second son and, like most second sons, have spent a goodly part of my life resenting it deeply. But that's another blog. God, my poor brother Michael (still another blog). Anyway, last night I really struggled reconciling the biggest jerk in the bible thus far, Jacob.

Jacob is born moments after his older brother Esau, clutching the wildly hirsute big bro's ankle, presumably seeking the earliest opportunity to snap it. Esau goes into the world, making his way, providing his family with meat. Jacob stays at home futzing in the kitchen and undoubtedly making clever origami menageries. Esau, not a mental giant, is easily manipulated out of his birthright by Jacob and a particularly inviting stew. Then Jacob plots with his mother to steal the elder boy's blessing by tricking their poor blind father by dressing in animal skins and Esau's coat, which smelt of him (to Esau's detriment, had he been a bit tidier in the hygiene department things might have turned out differently).

So, Jacob steals just about everything from his brother then, fearing Esau might try to pull a Cain, sneaks off to the north to find a bride.

But get this: this robber, liar, manipulator extraordinaire is granted, his first night away from the tent, with a dream: angels going up a ladder and back down, with God atop saying "Hey, kid, you rock. This is all for you". Then he meets his dreamgirl.

Rachel and Jacob go ga-ga for each other, but in Laban, Rachel's dad, Jacob meets a craftier con man than he. Laban tricks him into the wrong daughter as bride (Leah has "weak eyes") and fourteen years of labor before he can have the one he wants. Serves him right. But Jacob prospers, makes his way back home (a trip that involves a little larceny on his beautiful bride's part), and prepares to meet face to face --- after twenty years --- with his brother who approaches with an army of 400.

So the night before he meets up with his vengeful brother, presuming this night will be his last, Jacob tries to sleep, but is accosted in the night by a stranger who wrestles with him (without provocation) even to the point of knocking his hip socket out of joint. But Jacob won't have any part of giving up or giving in and, come the dawn, the stranger makes peace and walks away.

There are many interpretations of who this was. An angel testing Jacob? A manifestation of the divine spirit that will become Jesus (many theologians believe the pre-human Jesus makes several guest appearances in the Jewish bible)? God proper? You got me. But I know why Jacob wouldn't give in. Even if it meant his very death, Jacob was by no means coming this far and giving up his only chance to make things right with his brother.

And, when Jacob and Esau finally meet face to face, what does Esau do?

He throws his arms around Jacob and kisses him.

Big brothers. Go figure.

No comments: