Thursday, January 17, 2008

With special guest... JOSHUA FRANKLIN


So, the Sylvia So Far reading looms before me at six days away.


In a bit of blatant type-casting, the role called "All the Handsome Men" will be filled by the strapping, gorgeous and endlessly sweet Joshua Franklin.


Several years ago Josh was the first person ever to sing "The Man Reading Kafka on the Train". That number from SSF is, for reasons I have not yet identified, my biggest hit. It's a song about a romantic pick-up that goes south on a northbound subway. Maybe it's just so typical of the New York experience, but it's my most requested number in performance (yes, Peter Proctor, even more than your rendition of "My First Mistake"). Anyway... shortly after it was written I premiered it at a cocktail party thrown to promote my writing and I asked this young singer dude I had met to give it a go. He was fantastic.


And he is fantastic --- so fantastic that he works all the time and we've never had the chance to do anything again. So, his appearance in SSF is a real pleasure for me. If you want to catch him singing, go to his MySpace page at http://www.myspace.com/joshfranklinmusic. If you want to see him live, he's the understudy for Danny Zuko (remember Max Crumm?) in the current Broadway revival of Grease.

No comments: