Monday, January 14, 2008

Also Starring... PETER PROCTOR


It's just eight days until my first big deal of 2008: a small, invitational reading of the newest version of Sylvia So Far. On the panic scale, I am registering around a seven today. I'm still not happy with the script, two of the numbers are redundant, the scale is still tipped too far in the direction of the supporting characters... so what's new.


But, I thought I'd weigh in with something or other every day about the show. I intend to introduce the cast (there are six of them) bit by bit. So, the first bit:

Peter Proctor (above) as Marsha P. Johnson.


Peter is one of the original cast members from last years developmental production at La Mama returning for this reading and thank god! Marsha was, like Sylvia, a legend of the Village. Larger than life. Over the top. Painfully human. Peter nailed it all. One critic said Peter reimagiend Marsha as "an elegant goddess of the streets" in "a star-making turn".


An Ohio native, Peter has appeared as Che in Evita, both C.C. and Curtis and Dreamgirls, Seymour in Little Shop of Horrors and Lun Tha in The King and I. He also holds the distinction of having recorded demos of more of my songs than any other singer. His rendition of "My First Mistake" is requested more frequently by folks than any other of my recordings.


Peter is also tall, black, extremely good-looking, and has something like zero percent body fat. His abs have abs. He is married to the equally lovely and strikingly accomplished Shari Proctor.


Bit of Tim trivia: "When You Loved Me", the power ballad from Sylvia So Far, was added to the La Mama production in the 11th hour. It was written specifically for Peter. And he is territorial around it.

No comments: