Thursday, January 3, 2008

"A Room with a View"

A friend asked for the lyric to the title number of my new show, A Room with a View. Here 'tis:

"If it's damask that you wish,
in blue love,
damask is the very thing
I'll do love.
Me, I won't ask much:
now and then a touch,
and I need a room with a view.

If you say the parlor's damp
and chill love,
I shall rise to tend the fire
and grille love.
Let me do my best,
with a small request:
promise me a room with a view.

So much goes on dear,
to think and to feel,
that walls only mean to conceal.

Sometimes I sit very still
and lonely,
planning things that I would do,
if only...
Silly it may seem.
Cecil, let me dream.
Let me have a room with a view.

A room with a
window where lovers go ambling by,
framed by the sun and the sky.
They don't need a view.
I do.
Cecil, I do.

I won't ask a kiss.
Only promise this:
Lucy and her groom,
silent as a tomb,
living out ---
I mean loving out their lives
in a room with a view."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks, hon. You know I love it. Now hoe about Waterloo?