Monday, January 28, 2008

Hope for Alzheimers

In what could be a miracle-sized breakthrough, researchers are finding that a drug prescribed regularly for treatment of arthritis may also have life-altering benefits for Alzheimers patients.

Enbrel, when injected directly into the spine, can reverse dementia symptoms in a matter of minutes. While results are said to not make the sufferer “normal” (whatever that word means), it renders them able to drive a car.

That’s pretty high-functioning, as far as I’m concerned!

I watched my grandfather slip away horribly and angrily. His father had done the same, though with more joviality. Now my mother is ill. Any one of my siblings or cousins could be next, as could I.

Enbrel is not yet approved in any country for the treatment of Alzheimers or other dementias. Tests, studies, cross-examinations will have to happen.

But I have hope. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: