Monday, September 8, 2008

A very, very, very guilty pleasure...


Sylvia:
A horse and carriage just for me? And they'll pull me through the streets? Just like when Miss Louise Beavers passed in "Imitation of Life"?


Teddy
That was Juanita Moore.


Sylvia
Not the tragic Lana Turner remake, you ninny!


*******************


That exchange happens near the top of Sylvia So Far, my musical tribute to an adored friend. But last night it was the tragic Lana Turner remake TCM showed, and Jimmy and I watched --- and guffawed through --- every delicious moment.


My fave? It includes what must be the most ineptly performed number in cinema history, the irresistable "The Lonliest Word (I've Ever Heard Is Empty"). Susan Kohner sure is pretty as Sarah Jane, but a triple-threat she is not. The song, bad as they come, has been insinuating itself through my day and I have a smile just remembering Miss Kohner's airport runway choreography.

No comments: