Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Okay, I'm a Bible geek...

Big news for those of us with a penchant for Bible history! The oldest extant New Testament, called the Codex Sinaiticus and dating from the fourth century CE, is being photographed and assembled in its entirety for online viewing! The Greek text, discovered in an Egyptian monastery in the 1850s, was divvied up between various institutions in Britain, Russia, Egypt and Germany and access has been severely limited. I saw two pages from the Codex during my last trip to London, where the British Library displays it under bulletproof glass.

So I am delighted. It goes online sometime next July (ah, I have to wait a whole year!!!). I'm particularly interested in the inclusion of a little known and non-canonical book called "The Shepherd of Hermas", which has been likened to collection of charming fairy tales.

No comments: