Monday, July 7, 2008

It feels so right...


I don't as a rule identify with Audrey Hepburn. I mean, I think she's rapturously beautiful and all that and she stars in a few of my favorite movies, but I've never actually said "Oh that Audrey. She knows me so well". That connection was reserved for Deborah Kerr.


But I watched an Audrey trilogy over the weekend and one moment shot right through me and I thought "Exactly!". But more on that.


First, I spent the long weekend rewriting Sylvia So Far (another blog), recovering from Mr. Ramos' birthday party (another blog), and watching movies I've seen a thousand times before. Five, to be exact. And they were (in order of appearance): Sabrina, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Music Man, 1776, and Roman Holiday.


Wow!

A few favorite moments:

Shirley Jones: "Mrs. Shinn, The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam is a classic." Hermione Gingold: "It's a smutty book."

Audrey perched on the fire escape, guitar in hand, warbling about her Huckleberry friend.

An exquisitely young Blythe Danner waltzing with William Daniels to a single violin and Howard da Silva's delighted observation: "Oh John! You can dance!".

"Rome!"

"I know there have been many ports of call and there will be many more. One can't expect a traveling salesman to stay put."

But it was an unremembered moment that lingers for me. Something I heard for the first time. It articulated something I have been feeling of late. For whatever reasons, I have been acutely aware that the universe seems to be converging in my favor right now. Everything is going right and I am the happiest I've been in a very long time. Some of it is my doing and some of it is... who knows? But there is a beautiful moment in Sabrina, when Audrey's chauffeur father says, "Oh Sabrina, you're reaching for the moon again". And Audrey says "No father..."


"The moon is reaching for me."

No comments: