Monday, April 14, 2008

The Saturday Sessions...

It's something I initially dreaded, eventually tolerated, have grown to really groove to. Okay, adore. I mean, of course, going into the recording studio and doin' mah stuff! Saturday Abigail and PP and I settled into Jim Papoulis' comfy basement studio and showed off. Peter mostly provided support this time since the day was largely about Abigail. She aced "Waterloo" and "When I Imagined Me" (with Peter "I-don't-do-backup" Proctor grudgingly in the background). I was pleased with my own performance of "The Golden Boy of Ames".

But I suppose the most rewarding element of the day was in meeting a request made by Mr. Taylor, Abigail's father. He has a friend whose mother is quite old, quite ill, and will be gone quite soon. In the 1930s (!) she was a songwriter with a radio show in DesMoines but, after marrying, left her writing behind and became a happy housewife. Her two children (in their 60s themselves) have never heard any of her songs. So, Mr. Taylor sent some music, Abigail and I worked it up, then took it into the studio.

It's a very lovely pop ballad that is charmingly of its day. "You're My One and Only". Very sweet and the chording was yummy. Anyway, Mr. Taylor will make a present of it to his friend's mother. It's really an honor to have been involved.

So, that was the Saturday session. There are many coming up and I am so thilled.

No comments: