Thursday, April 10, 2008

Gorgeous drawings at the Morgan

I've been meaning for weeks to mention this and time gets away. The exhibition of drawings from the Uffizi showing now at the Morgan Library is glorious. I am always thrilled and in wonder at what a talented person can do with a bit of pencil or crayon or chalk. The subtleties of these Renaissance figures boggles. And where did they get those models? Were people really built like that then? Yow!

I suppose I've seen all these pieces before at the Uffizi, but Florence is such an irresistable assault to the senses that these forty or so drawings benefit tremendously from their New York holiday. The renovated galleries at the Morgan (one of my favorite places in NewYork) show them off in a way that let me focus on their content and weight and beauty. God yes, their beauty.

So hightail it on down to 36th Street, take a deep breath on the way in, then let these gorgeous pieces wash over you and into you. It's around through April 20th, so hurry.

No comments: