Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I saw my girls last night!


The weekend was pretty swamped so I had to wait five whole days to check in with Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda.


Yes, last night 300 hundred sceaming single women, 4 gay men and 2 rather abashed husbands experienced Sex and the City together. The moment Carrie blazed across the screen, wearing a tiny dress and a huge fabric flower, the theatre went insane. And it just got better. The women of SATC are my friends, both imaginatively and realistically. When the show aired, beginning in 1998 and continuing for about 5 years, my buddies and I were amazed at how the passions and trevails and triumphs of four single or sometimes single women on the prowl in Manhattan rather exactly mirrored our own. Of course, the show was created by a gay man and has forever been criticized as being much more reflective of the New York Gay Boy experience than the New York Single Chick reality. I say "what-eh-vuh".


My buds and I, before my tragically doomed relationship, checked in weekly on the love developments of la Bradshaw and crew. We argued who we were. Of course, everyone thought they were Carrie, open and questioning and searching. I remember a dinner once when I told a group I felt I was Charlotte: kind and optimistic and traditional. Frank Cruz roared with laughter and said, "Oh honey, you're no Charlotte. You're just a Samantha in Charlotte's clothing!". I did have the reputation of being the, shall I say, popular one of my friends. I never connected with Miranda, whom I observed from a wary distance with a degree of mild contempt. Wow! In the movie that mild contempt developed into something more like unbridled loathing. Not to spoil any plot twists, though.


But the great thing was, everybody (at least single women and gay men --- 98.2% of the people who populate my life) relates keenly to SATC. And the movie is a natural, hilarious, heartbreaking, enraging extension of lives I feel I know well. What is the guy's name? John Patrick King I think. Well done. You have peeked into the days and weeks of my friends and me and helped us make some sense of our wonderful, impossible, horny lives. Thank you. Have a cosmo on me.

No comments: