Monday, June 2, 2008

Breakfast with Colleen


I woke up early and famished today. Who knows why? Most days it doesn't even occur to me to eat. Not so June 2, 2008. I mean, I was ravenous. So I arose, showered and walked down to Tom's Diner, the spot on the Columbia campus that was featured so prominently in Seinfeld.


I was at the end of my 2 eggs, over easy with sausage, potatoes and toast, when my friend Colleen appeared tableside. So she sat, ordered her 2 eggs and we did what you so seldom get to do --- we just chatted over coffee. We talked about church. We talked about the bell choir (Colleen conducts the bell choir). We talked about the state of New York City High Schools. We talked about Rachel's gymnastics. We talked about the talent show. Kids we love. Teaching piano (which she does, not me).


And then I had to move on to the office. But what a nice, unexpected way to start a Monday. Don't you love New York?

No comments: